The year was 1897. The place? A tiny logging and farming community in Northern Maine called Houlton. There, a group of citizens concerned about the cost and availability of insurance in Aroostook County started the Aroostook County Patrons Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
At the time, fire was by far the number one threat to the local farmers. So in its early days, the company focused solely on insuring its members against loss or damage to their farms, potato houses and other properties due to fire and lightening strikes.
From these modest beginnings, MMG Insurance has had a long history of growth, both in premium volumes and in the types of products offered. From basic personal auto policies to comprehensive commercial package policies, we offer a full line of plans to meet the diverse insurance needs of individuals and businesses throughout the Northeast. Here’s a quick look back over our 100-plus year history:
- 1897: Aroostook County Patrons Mutual Fire Insurance Company was incorporated in Houlton, Maine.
- 1906: The company was relocated to Presque Isle, Maine, where it shared offices with other local insurance companies. Together, they became known as Maine Mutual Group.
- 1968: Aroostook County Patrons Mutual Fire Insurance Company merged with the Maine Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Lisbon Falls, Maine, to become Maine Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
- 1978: Maine Mutual merged with the United Mutual Insurance Company.
- 1980: Maine Mutual began operating in Vermont.
- 1984: Maine Mutual began operating in New Hampshire.
- 1988: With premium volume having reached $20 million, the company had outgrown its home on Main Street in Presque Isle. Its headquarters were relocated to a modern 27,000-square-foot facility on Maysville Street in Presque Isle, where it remains today.
- 1991: Maine Mutual Fire Insurance Company received the Governor’s Award for Business Excellence.
- 2002: The company completed its transformation into a mutual holding company and began operating under its previous name, Maine Mutual Group.
- 2005: The company began marketing its services under the name MMG Insurance to reflect its expanding footprint outside the state of Maine.
- 2006: MMG Insurance began operating in the state of Pennsylvania.
- 2007: MMG is named the Best Place to Work in Maine among companies with fewer than 200 employees.
- 2011: MMG Insurance began operating in the state of Virginia.
- 2014: MMG’s premium volume surpasses $150 million and the company is honored as the PIA National Company of the Year.
- 2016: MMG is named the Company of the Year in Maine by the Maine Insurance Agents Association and is ranked as the Top Performing Company by the Professional Insurance Agents of New Hampshire.
- 2017: The Company is named among the Best Places to work in Maine for the seventh time.
- 2018: MMG exceeds $200 million in premiums in partnership with more than 195 Independent Agencies across 490 locations throughout Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- 2019: MMG receives Overall Award in Innovation – National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies & Named One of the Best Places to Work in Maine for the eighth time.